**This post is updated.**
Meet our school aged kids:
We know we are biased...So let us reword...Here are normal kids that we love because they are ours.
All that history aside, the important thing is, these kids love to learn. They are good students with a desire to work hard (most days).
We need a teacher to begin in January 2016.
In fact, we're so optimistic we believe our kids will likely graduate and move out some day. (Two of them have already done it and are in Texas.) Heck, we dare to think that they might even excel as giving, caring, contributing members of society.
Emotionally most people find themselves all over the board as they sort out what they see and experience here. We learn things every week about ourselves and our faith. This country will generally kick the butt of anyone willing to be introspective and honest about their feelings and attitudes toward the poor, hurting and marginalized. Those that apply for this position should do so knowing this will be an emotional roller coaster.
Emotionally stable people in good physical health will do best in Haiti.
- Teaching degree/certificate
- A love of Jesus
- At least one year prior teaching experience (can consider those with less experience too)
- Can provide references (personal, professional, spiritual) and demonstrate maturity - submit to a thorough background check
- Flexibility and a sense of humor to deal with less than ideal circumstances such as: heat, bugs, no hot water or no water at all, no air-conditioning, funky tropical illness, lack of electricity, political instability, limited entertainment options, etc., etc.
- Must work well living and serving in community
- Must be a self-starter
- Ability to commit to the one semester of January to May 2016 (we will also be looking for candidates that want to apply for the 2016-2017 school year).
- Hobby/Extracurricular activity that can be shared with the students such as- Piano, Guitar, Dance, Art, Foreign Language, etc.
- Two teachers that know each other and can teach and live together in one apartment are preferred - but not required - friends or a married couple would enjoy working together.
- A salary commenturate with experience will be paid. Depending upon the living arrangements there may be a need to do personal fund-raising above and beyond the salary. We are able to house one or two teacher(s) in a small apartment/space (rent free) on the same property where school takes place.
- Position (and salary) could begin as early as December 1, 2015 with a target move to Haiti date of January 2016. The semester will begin by the second week of January.
- Best case scenario, the person hired will come spend a week or two with the kids and their current teacher THIS FALL (November) in order to become acquainted with the kids. (We understand this will be difficult to accomplish and the chosen candidate may not be able to get here this fall.)
- Interviews will mainly take place by email and by Skype - and for final candidates in person.
- For the next month we will be gathering information and resumes .
- Between the five kids there are four grades represented (junior high and gradeschool). Candidates will need to find ways to work with the kids individually and collectively as needed.
- Health Insurance not provided.
- Teaching must be your number one priority for being in Haiti. Teaching will take 40+ hours per week. Other ministry or work is secondary and would be limited to weekends.
- Vehicle not provided.
- Looking for a five month committment - January 5, 2016 to May 30, 2016 - WE will also be looking to hire a teacher for the FALL of 2016.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION BASED OFF OF FAQs-
Yes we will consider a single teacher applicant. We prefer two but will consider all single applicants.
The reason we think that two friends both taking the job or a married couple is ideal is two-fold. One, teaching four different grade levels is difficult. Two, during your evenings and weekends we are concerned that it is possible that a person could feel bored or lonely when they don't have a car to easily get around and perhaps would feel nervous to use public transportation without the necessary Creole language skills. There are several younger and single expats in the nearby community for those that are good at extroverting.
Salary will be based on experience and credentials. Salary range is $500 to $800 per month plus an apartment on a very lovely and secure compound.
Only serious applicants please.
We cover one one-way ticket to Haiti.
One week Spring Break (paid) off.
The personality of the kids you will teach ...